Thursday 16 February 2012

Illustration Friday: Popularity




Most of us have had those moments in our lives when all eyes are on us. The rare times it has happened I've found it intoxicating. If they were to play out like a movie, my brain would play the part of a frazzled nanny to my eccentric and flighty ego, desperately trying to make it see that this whirlwind of popularity is temporary, and probably not a true reflection of how my peers see me overall.

"But this is people seeing me for the awesome person I really feel inside that I am!" ego would wistfully assure brain. Poor brain. Overpowered again.

I like to think I've got to the point where my ego isn't as out of control as this. Once in a while when people notice your qualities it's nice to feel appreciated and liked. Ebbs and flows, comes and goes. When thinking about popularity for this post my heart went instantly to adolescence and how brutal this stuff can be that time in your life, and how resilient young people are to push past the bad bits because of how good it feels to be at the centre of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment